Thursday, May 29, 2008

Confession

My name is Thien Oo; my family sold me to the city. My father had to owe a lot of money to some people in the city, and we were too poor to pay it off. So my father and mother sent me away to work in the city in till I pay off my father’s debt. They told me I would be working for a lady... when I got to the city I was pulled into a dark, hidden house next to an alley. The city was very smoggy and nothing like the country town I use to live in. when I stepped into the house there were a lot of girls dressed in pretty sparkly dresses, with extravagant make up, they were all around my age. An older lady walked up to me and grabbed my arm and took me into a cold dark office-I found out later that it was her office. Her name was Lady Shiloh. Her skin was sweet and beautiful; she looked like she was in her mid thirties. She asked for my name and my age, I said "Thien Oo, fifteen". She made me stand up and take off my clothes. She stared at me for a while, examining every aspect of my body, then she grabbed my arm again and said "Good". Then she gave me a new beautiful dress, a pair off shoes and a bag of makeup. She said, "Your mine now, so don't try to run away or I’ll kill you". She said I start tomorrow, and she said I would be a good worker because I'm young and clean. She walked me into an empty room with two beds. She said I out to get to know the girls, "they'll teach you something".

My roommates name is Ama and she's sixteen. She told me to be careful, "there's a lot of bastards that will hurt you". After that she stopped talking to me. I didn't know what I would be doing for work, but Ama said I should be careful. I woke up early the next day anxious to what I will be doing while I'm in the city. I missed my family, but I knew they were right for sending me to work. Once all the girls woke up they began to put their make up on and dress up in their dresses. Ama said she would do my make up for my first day of work. Once Ama finished I looked like an Indian Barbie. I wasn't me, I'm Indian but I'm not a Barbie. Once all the girls looked finished, Lady Shiloh came down the stairs and looked at all of us. She made sure that we looked "Good". Once Lady Shiloh came up to me, she took my hands and whispered something so soft the wind couldn't hear it.  She didn't repeat herself, but she did say once she's done checking all the girls she would like me to go to her office. When Lady Shiloh came inside her office she looked like she was ready to have a serious talk. She looked at me and began her serious talk...

"Your goings to wait in till I or one of my advisors brings you a customer. Treat him with respect and do whatever he asks of you. Don't ever bring someone my advisors or I haven't met into your room. If he gives you money you will have to turn it to me. If I ever find out that you are hiding money from me I will raise your fathers debt and you will have to suffer the consequences. Every month a physician will come and give you shots so you can stay clean. Now do you understand?"

I didn't understand at all. But I was to scared to tell her I didn't. Then she sent me out with the other girls. Once the day turned dark, and night arose, we all gathered by the wall and waited. Men came up to some girls and the advisors took both of them into the house. I wasn't approached by anyone my first night, but Ama was.  I wanted to know what happened in the rooms the advisors sent men and girls in. She told me that they do whatever they ask of, and we aren't allowed to ask them anything.  She told me that I didn't have anyone come to me because Lady Shiloh is saving me for later. Ama says I'm the only real clean girl in the house. On the second night Lady Shiloh said there was someone waiting for me, and I better look beautiful. There was this very dark skinned city man sitting next to Shiloh when I came into her office. She told him I was worth 100 rupees, and he handed her the roll of money. We started waling into a room upstairs, before I went in Shiloh grabbed me in a corner and told me " you better not screw up and listen to what he wants". Then I was left lone with the dark skinned man a bed and my Indian Barbie look. He sat on the bed and told me to undress, I thought about refusing but I should "listen to what he wants". He grabbed my breasts and threw me on the bed. He was on top of me and all I could hear wear sobbing tears, and moans. It took me a while to find out I was the one making the sobbing noses. He seemed to not care, then he pushed himself into me and I cried. I don’t think he listened to my tears; he didn’t stop when I started crying.

No comments: