Thursday, May 15, 2008

Resistance



"One boy tried to escape [from the rebels], but he was caught... His hands were tied, and then they made us, the other new captives, kill him with a stick. I felt sick. I knew this boy from before.We were from the same village. I refused to kill him and they told me they would shoot me. They pointed a gun at me, so I had to do it. The boy was asking me, "Why are you doing this?" I said I had no choice. After we killed him, they made us smear his blood on our arms... They said we had to do this so we would not fear death and so we would not try to escape. . . I still dream about the boy from my village who I killed. I see him in my dreams, and he is talking to me and saying I killed him for nothing, and I am crying."

-Susan, 16, abducted by the Lords Resistance Army in Uganda


The death of fear tried to escape.
The smear of choice is killed.


2 comments:

Heather AppleJove Jun said...

Powerful. Powerful. This is for me is scary to read about but reality that can not be denied. Although, I'm not doing my blog on this topic, I had to leave a comment. Rachel! Amazing!

Sam said...

This is amazing. I love how you chose to use the words of someone whose actually lived your topic to say the word. It is heart wrenching. However, the taste de resistance is your two line analysis that says somewhing huge in a small portion. Good job.